TheDerbyDoos

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Last Wednesday before Spring Break

Last year's Wednesday before Spring Break found me sitting at home grading papers anticipating the break ahead and trying to get some lesson plans done before picking the boys up from school.  Sometime in the early part of the afternoon, I got a group text from my mom to my sisters and brother saying that she could hardly believe it, but that my dad was scheduled for open heart surgery the next morning at six.  The 3 (or so) hours that followed were pretty crazy as my sisters, brother and I conference called, made immediate plans to leave, made arrangements for school, for the boys, found a flight out, packed a bag, said goodbye to Micah and the boys and got on a plane.  By late that evening, my sisters and I were all in Illinois with my mom and my brother met us at the hospital the next morning after catching a flight back from Seattle and driving much of the night from Chicago.  I remember how surreal it all felt and how worried I was about my dad.  He is such an incredibly strong man and has been the best father and example of a godly husband and provider that anyone could ever ask for. I am so thankful that his surgery was a success and even though recovery has been a long road and not without its hiccups, he is doing well.  I scrapped a page last year with some photos from our time there, we spent lots of hours the day of his surgery and immediately following in the SICU family waiting room.  And while the reason for all of us to be there was not good, I am so thankful for my family and that we were all able to be there together, because there is such comfort in that.




1 comment:

LaCombe said...

Sorry, I have not been on here for a while, but I am so happy to see you blogging again. Hope all is well and I still think of you often and send prayers and love.
Have a Blessed and Happy Spring Break