TheDerbyDoos

Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring Break Day 1

It has been a while since I have stayed up late being productive, maybe since that evening before reporting for school when I decided that I wanted to make some freezer meals.  Oddly enough, that is exactly what this evening found me doing.  A little over a month ago, a friend texted me and asked me if I was interested in doing a freezer meal exchange with a couple of friends. Basically, we each choose three main dishes and prepare four of the each of them. Then, we exchange. I keep one meal for my family and give one to each of the other ladies participating. So I ended up with 12 freezer meals which ranged from crock pot creations, casseroles to be baked, sloppy joes, soups, etc.  It has been all kinds of great.  We agreed to do another exchange this week and although we aren't actually meeting up until Sunday to switch out meals, I had it in my head to go ahead and get a head start.  So, basically spring break day 1 has literally been spent at grocery stores and in the kitchen--since I also cooked dinner for a family with a new baby and for us tonight.  Then, after dinner, I looked at Micah and said, I think I am just going to power through.  I only made it through 2 of my 3 meals, but they are prepped, cooked, packaged and freezing in my deep freeze as we speak.  And my kitchen is clean again.  I feel like I have at least been productive today.  To keep myself entertained through my extensive kitchen hours, I have been re-watching/listening to the first season of 24.  Let's just say that it is as crazy as I remember it being and we certainly have come a long way in the way of technology.

The boys have spent the day playing Legos, reading, playing a bit of Xbox, and being my grocery store helpers.

Sweet story about them:  A few weeks ago in church, our pastor shared the story of Marilyn Lazlo a missionary to Papua New Guinea. The boys were in church with us and were really captivated by her story.  I remembered that many years ago at a missions conference at our church in Nashville, she was a speaker and we met her and bought her book Mission Possible and decided that I could maybe read it to them.  They are so fascinated by jungle life and kinds of animals, so I thought they might enjoy hearing the stories.  It has been precious to read to them and at times overwhelming as I often read my own heart for missions in her words. To be honest, it touches some raw parts of my heart. But it is awesome to see them hear the stories of how God was at work among the Hauna people from  the beginning of time.  Today, we read of how one of the headmen in the tribe came to ask 'Papa God into his throat' and later in the same chapter, he became very ill and died.  The boys' reaction was disbelief at first and sadness, but then Williams says, 'but heaven, that is where he is, we don't have to be sad.' and Xavier tells me, 'when I get to heaven, I want to find Sauperi, and find out just what it was like in Papua New Guinea.'  Oh how my heart wants their hearts to be big for the world, to see men and women who give of themselves to share Christ in places where it is difficult and hard and yet they go through the strength and power of the Holy Spirit that is at work within them.

No pictures for today. I think I am reaching my limit of how understandable my sentences might be.  Tomorrow we are heading to Oklahoma City to meet my sister in law and the cousins for a trip to the zoo there. It should be a fun day.

I will add a few layouts, since I have actually been scrapping while I haven't been blogging!





2 comments:

One of Nettie's Girls said...

Such a sweet story about the boys. I love their hearts...they seem so tender. Question for you that will make me look really dumb: The scrapbook pages that you and your sis show-are they actual pages in a scrapbook or are they in a digital scrapbook? Does that make sense?

LaCombe said...

Your boys are so handsome. It has been awhile since I have been on your blog, but they have so grown up and have personalities of their own. I continue praying for you always and send my love